Vegan Shepherd's Pie
Hearty comfort food in this plant-based, oil-free, vegan casserole.
Prep Time1 hr 30 mins
Cook Time45 mins
- 8 whole Potatoes, medium (fist sized potatoes), peeled and quartered
- 1/4 Cup Oat milk or any non dairy milk
- 3/4 Cup Dry Green Lentils Soaked for 30 minutes, or up to 6 hours. Canned lentils can be used as well.
- 6 Cups Oil Free Vegetable Stock For adding flavor to boiled potatoes and lentils and for oil-free cooking.
- 1/2 Onion, medium diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced or pressed
- 1 cup Carrots diced
- 1/2 cup Celery Stalk diced
- 1 cup Green Peas Frozen, thawed
- 1 cup Corn Frozen, thawed
- 1 cup Mushrooms diced
- 16 oz Canned Tomatoes
- 2 TBS Vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup Canned Tomato Sauce
- 2 sprigs Fresh Rosemary Stem removed, chop leaves, more or less to taste
- 2 sprigs Fresh Oregano Stem removed, chop leaves, more or less to taste
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder more or less to taste
- 1 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper more or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder more or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt more or less to taste
In sauce pan, bring water and veggie stock to boil per package directions for 3/4 cup of lentils. Add lentils when water is boiling, and simmer uncovered per package directions for 20-30 minutes. When done, remove from heat, drain, and set aside.
Meanwhile, bring water and veggie stock to boil in stock pot and add quartered potatoes. Boil for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
While the lentils and potatoes are cooking, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
In large warmed skillet, add onions and stir frequently. In no oil cooking, let the onions begin to release their own natural oils, and use your spoon or spatula to keep them moving in the pan. If needed, add a splash of water or stock if needed. Once onions begin to turn clear, add garlic and stir one minute more. Add carrots and celery next, stirring often and adding water or stock in small amounts as needed, do not over water. When the celery and carrots begin to get tender, add corn, peas and mushrooms to the pan. Continue stirring over medium high heat.
When the vegetables are just tender, add the Vegan Worcester sauce. This will help deglaze the pan and remove any stuck bits at this point. Stir and add dried and fresh spices, then add the canned tomatoes and tomato sauce and stir completely. Add cooked lentils and let simmer for 5 -10 minutes, stirring as needed.
While the lentil mushroom mixture is simmering, add the oat milk or other plant milk to the stock pot with drained cooked potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste and mash completely for the mashed potato topping.
Transfer the lentil mixture to the large oven safe dish and smooth out. Take large spoonfuls of potatoes (about 1/6 of the amount) and drop lighty on the mixture in 6 evenley spaced amounts. Take a fork and genlty press the potatoe mixture down to form an even cover over the casserole.
Place in oven on the middle rack and bake 35-40 minutes until the potatoes just start to brown. You can broil (keep on middle rack) at a low broil of 450 degrees F for 60 - 90 seconds to further brown the dish - be CAREFUL not to burn and watch closely while broiling.
Remove from oven, let set 5-10 minutes, then serve hot with a salad or other green veggies.
Calories: 262kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 318mg | Potassium: 1407mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 705IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 4mg