Make these with any flour, just make sure you have 3 cups. And the vegan mini chocolate chips …. Measure these with your heart. 🙂
These muffins are the perfect excuse to use up those ripe bananas… or as an excuse to have chocolate. (IF you need an excuses for chocolate!!!) We love to make these hearty, gluten free muffins when we have 3-4 bananas lying around that are just past the peak of eating. To be honest. the darker they get the sweeter they get, so once I have bananas getting “freckles” I let them go to brown before I throw them in this recipe.
We make these with 3 gluten free flour types, and I have learned after what feels like a million tries, when using gluten free flour you always need MORE Than one type. In this recipe, oat flour soaks up moisture , almond flour gives density and flavor, and the chickpea blend helps hold the muffins together. I would love to know what flours you experiment with! I don’t recommend removing the sugar, because once we remove eggs AND gluten we need some chemistry to take place to keep the moisture balance, and the granulated sugar in this recipe does the trick. To balance the refined sugar we include a 1:1 ratio of sugar to coconut sugar. And we use fair trade vegan mini chocolate chips… and to be honest I really NEVER measure these… I just pour until it “feels right”.
I hope you enjoy these vegan, hearty, oat filled, banana sweetness, oil free muffins and don’t forget to stir in the LOVE with the chocolate chips!
Banana Oat Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Muffin Tins
- Paper Muffin Cups (optional but great since these are oil free)
- 3 cups Gluten free flour
Our favorite combo is 1 cup almond flour, 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten free 1:1 and 1 cup GF Chickpea Bob’s Red Mill. Or use any flour of your choice – just make sure you have 3 cups.
- 1 cup rolled oats sprouted organic gluten free are our favorite
- ½ cup organic granulated sugar
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp fresh ground or ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 4 large)
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 1 cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 24 muffin cups or line with paper liners.
- Mix flours, organic sugar, coconut sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Mash bananas in separate bowl, stir in almond milk, applesauce and vanilla. Pour and stir banana mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Stir in 1 ½ to 2 cups Vegan mini chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups with batter. We use 2 TBS Scoop to evenly fill cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a tooth pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Check at 25 minutes for your oven to establish optimal cooking time.