Almost everyone loves a good pancake for breakfast, especially when they are delicious AND healthy!
Our favorite version is the vegan and gluten free and always has some fruit. Blueberries never disappoint. These are vegan, plant based, wholesome, gluten free and no added oil other than to keep the griddle primed!
Easy to whip up on the weekend and reheat during the week, these pancakes please all the eaters in the house and check all the boxes for energy, flavor and healthy start to your day!
A hot lightly greased griddle and patience are key for the perfect vegan gluten-free blueberry pancakes. Wait for the bubbles to burst on the first side before flipping to ensure you only need to flip once.
Make a stack and let us know how you make them your own!
- Large Pancake Griddle or Flat nonstick cooking surface
- Blender or vitamix
- 1/2 Cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 Cup gluten free baking flour Bob's Red Mill 1:1 is our choice
- 1 TBS coconut sugar optional , omit if using sweetened plant milk
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup rolled oats gluten free if needed
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk substitute any plant milk if needed
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries organic if possible
- Preheat griddle to medium high heat. (Identify readiness for adding pancake batter by wetting hand and sprinkling water on griddle. If it immediatly bubbles and burns off the griddle is ready. At this point I sometime turn the heat down just barely then add the first round of batter.)
- Blend in blender on high, 1 cup of almond milk or (or other plant milk) with peeled ripe banana and set aside.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup of almond milk with the apple cider in a bowl or wet measuring cup of at least 2 cup volume and set aside to curdle. The acid in the vinegar will keep the blueberries from bleeding into the batter and prevent the off color greenish ring.
- Combine dry ingredients and stir in a large bowl.
- Combine banana and almond milk into the almond milk/vinegar mixture and add vanilla. Stir and then add combined into the dry ingredients. Stir, scraping sides, being sure to stir until only just combined (don't over stir and disturb the baking powder chemistry) . Gently fold in blueberries and set batter aside for 5 minutes.
- Check griddle for readiness, and lightly coat with plant based butter or oil on hand for coating pans just to keep from sticking. Keep this to bare minimum. Use a ladle and pour batter in even amounts onto a very hot griddle. An overflowing 1/4 cup ladle will make about 9 to 10 pancakes.
- When bubbles have formed and then popped, the pancakes are ready to flip. These can take a few minutes longer than traditional egg based pancakes, so be patient and check texture to get the perfect timing down for your griddle then make note of your cooking time. Cooking times will vary based on griddle, heat, and stove top type.
- Serve with fresh maple syrup and top with nuts or granola if desired and ENJOY!