This delightfully delicious and healthy salad is a great vegan and plant-based alternative to tuna salad. The secret is not leaving the chickpeas whole by giving them a good pulse in a food processor, and adding in a great seaweed sprinkle for that taste of the sea!
When pulsing the chickpeas, make sure to go lightly! This really ramps up the texture rather than leaving the chickpeas whole. If you don’t have a food processor, try mashing with a fork or potato masher, but again less is better than more here!
And to get that taste of the sea we LOVE Bragg’s Sea Kelp Delight seasoning, but if you don’t have that, just crumble some seaweed snacks or sushi sheets then add in. Of course, omit this step if it doesn’t suit you. We love the combination with the crunch of apple, red onion and celery combined with the flavors of this seasoning!
Chickpea of the Sea
- food processor
- 29 oz Chickpeas Large can or 2 small cans
- 1 cup Celery Chopped
- 1 whole Apple Chopped
- 1/2 cup Red Onion Chopped
- 1/2 cup Plant Based Yogurt plain, unsweetened (if not oil free, you can use vegan mayo here)
- 3 TBS Mustard Use yellow, or dijon, add more to taste
- 3 TBS Relish more or less to taste
- 1 TBS Bragg Sea Kelp Delight Seasoning use crushed dry seaweed or omit
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse chickpeas, then pulse in a food processor til just chopped. If you don't have access to a food processor, mash with a potato masher or fork to break up the chickpeas for better texture. Do not over chop or mash, just a little bit to break up the whole bean for texture.
- Add to a bowl with the rest of the ingredients, mix and serve on fresh bread or salad greens.